TRIO SSS Academic Advising Program
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is an academic advising program for students in the College for Women. TRIO SSS empowers students to develop the skills, strengths, and advocacy needed for success at St. Kate's and beyond. Each TRIO SSS student will be supported by a success coach, who will provide academic advising and connect students to resources at St. Kate’s.
TRIO Student Support Services is funded by the Department of Education and must meet certain guidelines. TRIO SSS is funded to serve 140 students each year. Once students are accepted into TRIO SSS, they are with TRIO SSS until graduation.
Students must meet federal eligibility requirements and have an academic need to be accepted. Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and meet one or more of the following:
- Come from a low income household
- Be a first generation student (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree or higher)
- Have a documented disability
Uniquely TRIO SSS
TRIO SSS is committed to the success of each student and provides the following services to all TRIO SSS students.
Students will be supported by an academic advisor called a success coach, who will provide academic advising and connect students to resources at St. Kate’s. Students will meet with their success coach regularly throughout the semester. A few common reasons to meet with your success coach:
- Getting assistance with courses and study tips
- Preparing for registration
- Helping you overcome barriers
- Exploring graduate schools/careers
- Celebrating successes!
Early Course Registration
TRIO SSS students are given priority registration each semester. Priority registration allows TRIO SSS students early access to registration. Registering for classes early means more spots will be available in courses that students need, allowing them to stay on track for graduation.
Workshops and Events
TRIO-SSS students can plan to see workshops and events covering financial literacy, graduate school exploration, assisting with the FAFSA, and cultural activities throughout the academic year.
TRIO SSS is here to help students succeed at St. Kate’s. To allow us to best serve our students, TRIO SSS participants will be required to complete certain requirements. These requirements include meeting with your success coach, attending TRIO SSS events, and completing financial literacy modules. For more information on your requirements, please contact your success coach.
Applying to TRIO SSS
How to Apply
Students can access the electronic application, or paper applications are available in the TRIO SSS offices, located in CDC rooms 41-43.
There are two options for completing the application:
- Option 1: Complete the electronic application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Option 2: Complete the paper application and turn in to the TRIO SSS offices during regular business hours, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
For help with the application, please contact TRIO SSS via email at email@example.com or via phone at 651-690-6025.
Deadline to Apply
Our priority deadline for fall 2021 applications is Friday, September 17. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Completed TRIO SSS applications will include the following:
- Personal statement/essay
- Documentation of disability (if qualifying based on disability status and not registered with Student Accessibility and Accommodations)
- Copy of parents' 2020 tax return (if choosing Option 1 for Part 3) for dependent students
- Copy of student's 2020 tax return (fi choosing Option 1 for Part 3) for independent students
- Signature(s) (found on page # and # if choosing Option 2 for Part 3)
Submitting Your Application
Completed applications and accompanying materials can be submitted via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or turned in in-person to the TRIO SSS offices in CDC 41-43 during business hours (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.).
No, international and undocumented students are not eligible for the program. TRIO SSS is a grant from the Department of Education and requires students to be a citizen or national of the United States or meets the residency requirements for Federal student financial assistance.
Yes, all former TRIO SSS students who are transferring to St. Kate’s and have not received their first bachelor’s degree, are encouraged to apply if you meet the eligibility requirements at the time of application. Students will have to complete the St. Kate’s TRIO SSS application, we do not take applications from other institutions.
TRIO SSS Regulation defined low-income as: Low-income individual means an individual whose family's taxable income did not exceed 150 percent of the poverty level amount in the calendar year preceding the year in which the individual initially participated in the project. The poverty level amount is determined by using criteria of poverty established by the Bureau of the Census of the U.S. Department of Commerce.
TRIO SSS utilize the poverty level chart in determining the low-income status.
Yes, if neither of your parents or legal guardians have a bachelor’s degree (a four-year degree), you are eligible to apply.
Please contact TRIO SSS to determine eligibility.
No, TRIO SSS is only for students in the College for Women. If you are in need of extra support and don’t know where to reach out for assistance, please see the Helpful Resources section below or contact TRIO SSS and we can direct you to the resources at St. Kate’s
After TRIO SSS receives a student’s completed application, TRIO SSS will review application materials to indicate significant need for supportive services alongside prospective participants’ verified eligibility data. If more information is needed, TRIO SSS will contact students to set up an intake interview.
Applying to TRIO SSS does not guarantee admission to the program. All applications will be reviewed according to the selection process and spots available.
Applicants can expect to hear back from TRIO SSS two weeks after the deadline or when application was submitted, depending on which date is farther out.
Students accepted into the program will be assigned a Success Coach, who will become their academic advisor. Success Coach will work closely with your Major/Faculty Mentor to support you.
TRIO SSS does not provide any scholarships for students through our program.
The benefits of joining TRIO SSS are:
- Being advised by a Success Coach, who shares similar college experiences as you.
- Frequent meetings and access to Success Coach throughout the semester.
- Early course registration, register as early as senior and honor students.
- Attend workshops, leadership opportunities, and events only for TRIO SSS students.
- Meet new people, make new friends with other TRIO SSS students.
All TRIO SSS students are expected to:
- Attend monthly meetings with their Success Coach to review:
- Courses selections
- Midterm Grades
- Challenges and barriers that can affect academic success
- Accommodations and resources
- Complete a StrengthsFinder Assessment within the first month of acceptance.
- Attend two or more TRIO hosted workshops per academic year. One workshops has to be a financial literacy workshop.