TRIO SSS Academic Advising Program
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is an academic advising program for students in the College for Women. TRIO SSS empowers students to develop the skills, strengths, and advocacy needed for success at St. Kate's and beyond. Each TRIO SSS student will be supported by a success coach, who will provide academic advising and connect students to resources at St. Kate’s.
TRIO Student Support Services is funded by the Department of Education and must meet certain guidelines. TRIO SSS is funded to serve 140 students each year. Once students are accepted into TRIO SSS, they are with TRIO SSS until graduation.
Students must meet federal eligibility requirements and have an academic need to be accepted. Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and meet one or more of the following:
- Come from a low income household
- Be a first generation student (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree or higher)
- Have a documented disability
Uniquely TRIO SSS
TRIO SSS is committed to the success of each student and provides the following services to all TRIO SSS students.
Students will be supported by an academic advisor called a success coach, who will provide academic advising and connect students to resources at St. Kate’s. Students will meet with their success coach regularly throughout the semester. A few common reasons to meet with your success coach:
- Getting assistance with courses and study tips
- Preparing for registration
- Helping you overcome barriers
- Exploring graduate schools/careers
- Celebrating successes!
Early Course Registration
TRIO SSS students are given priority registration each semester. Priority registration allows TRIO SSS students early access to registration. Registering for classes early means more spots will be available in courses that students need, allowing them to stay on track for graduation.
Workshops and Events
TRIO-SSS students can plan to see workshops and events covering financial literacy, graduate school exploration, assisting with the FAFSA, and cultural activities throughout the academic year.
TRIO SSS is here to help students succeed at St. Kate’s. To allow us to best serve our students, TRIO SSS participants will be required to complete certain requirements. These requirements include meeting with your success coach, attending TRIO SSS events, and completing financial literacy modules. For more information on your requirements, please contact your success coach.
Applying to TRIO SSS
How to Apply
Students can access the electronic application, or paper applications are available in the TRIO SSS offices, located in CDC rooms 41-43.
There are two options for completing the application:
- Option 1: Complete the electronic application and email it to email@example.com.
- Option 2: Complete the paper application and turn in to the TRIO SSS offices during regular business hours, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
For help with the application, please contact TRIO SSS via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 651-690-6025.
Deadline to Apply
Our priority deadline for fall 2021 applications is Friday, September 17. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Completed TRIO SSS applications will include the following:
- Personal statement/essay
- Documentation of disability (if qualifying based on disability status and not registered with Disability Resources)
- Copy of parents' 2020 tax return (if choosing Option 1 for Part 3) for dependent students
- Copy of student's 2020 tax return (fi choosing Option 1 for Part 3) for independent students
- Signature(s) (found on page # and # if choosing Option 2 for Part 3)
Submitting Your Application
Completed applications and accompanying materials can be submitted via email (email@example.com) or turned in in-person to the TRIO SSS offices in CDC 41-43 during business hours (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.).