The O’Neill Center will continue to offer services online through Summer 2020.
Professional Staff Hours (online)
Tuesday–Thursday, 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
For further information about testing, contact the O'Neill Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointments for one-on-one tutoring will be available in each of our tutoring centers at the following times from Wednesday, 5/27/20, through Tuesday, 8/18/20:
Undergrad Writing Online
Monday, 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Tuesday, 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Thursday, 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m. & 3:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m. & 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Grad Writing Online*
Monday, 4:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, 1:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
Thursday, 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
*closed on Saturday, July 4
Monday, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm*
Tuesday, 9:00 am–11:00 am**
Wednesday, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm*
Friday, 9:00 am–11:00 am**
*General Chemistry, Nursing Calculations, Statistics
For further information and to make an appointment, see below.
Writing and Reading
Get one-on-one, online assistance with your writing and reading skills at any stage of the writing process.
Online writing tutoring is available by appointment to undergraduate and graduate students. To use the online system, you must first register for an account. Then you are welcome to book an appointment on the appropriate schedule. At the time of your appointment, log in to the online system again and click on the appointment you made to start the session.
Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Your paper may be uploaded when you book the appointment or when you return for your session. You will be an active participant in the one-hour, synchronous session, which will occur online with a trained peer tutor who will collaborate with you, help with questions you have, and offer suggestions for going forward with your writing project.
- Effective Writing Strategies (7 modules)
- Writing a Literature Review (7 modules)
- The Literature Review Process: Problems and Solutions (5 modules)
- Preparing for the Kaplan Exam (8 modules)
Library Research and Citation Help
If you have a research question or a quick citation question that doesn't warrant a tutoring session, contact a reference librarian or consult the library's citation guides.
Writing and APA Instruction in ASL
View these video modules for ASL instruction on the topics of APA writing and citing.
- Grammarly for St. Kate’s students: General Info and How to Get It
- Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab (OWL): One of the best sources on the web for information on nearly every aspect of writing. OWL covers general writing, subject-specific writing, research recommendations, citations, grammar, mechanics, ESL issues, etc. You will also find numerous printable handouts.
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant: Another comprehensive website offering information on numerous writing topics.
- American Psychological Association: For help with APA style and citation questions.
- The Elements of Style (William Strunk, Jr): Classic advice on writing clearly.
- The University of Minnesota: Support for student writing.
- The University of Wisconsin—Madison: Writer’s handbook.
- Grammar Girl: Quick tips and help with tricky grammar questions.
- CCC Guide to Grammar and Writing: Interactive site covering multiple topics.
- E-Resource Center (City University of New York): Writing and grammar tutorials.
- EduFind.com: Useful source for practicing English grammar. This website contains many printable handouts and short quizzes covering multiple areas of English grammar.
- Common ESL Errors: The Top Ten List: Includes articles and advice on how to address these errors.
- BBC Learning English: Practice for reading, listening, and writing skills. This website has great grammar and vocabulary building exercises.
- Internet TESL Journal: Practice for improving listening and comprehension skills. Minimal pairs exercises highly recommended.
- Many Things.org: Practice for vocabulary building, pronunciation, reading, and listening. This website also contains grammar quizzes.
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab: Practice for improving listening and vocabulary building.
- Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia: Useful online medical encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia.com: Supplemental resource for verifying facts and information. This website also contains biographies.
Discipline-Specific Writing Guides
Take advantage of the writing guides we have created for some of the programs taught at St. Kate's.
Math and Science
Get one-on-one, online assistance in math, statistics, chemistry, biology, physics, and more.