Supervisors of Student Employees

All open positions must be posted in Handshake.

Steps to Review Applications

  • Hiring managers should review applicants with federal or state work study funds first, although all students are encouraged to apply. International students should also be considered in the first group of applicants since they are unable to work off-campus due to federal and state regulations.
  • Once applications are sent to your department, you can contact those students you wish to interview. Each department is responsible for notifying

Steps to Hire

  • Once you have hired a student, contact
  • When speaking with your student worker, ask if they have ever worked on campus in the past. If the student has never received a paycheck from the college, they will need to complete I-9 and W-4 forms prior to beginning work. The form requires verification of eligibility to work in the United States. Acceptable documents for this verification are listed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services. These forms may be completed in Human Resources. These are the only places that are authorized to verify the necessary documents. Do not authorize this form yourself.
  • A new certification must be signed each academic year, even for returning students. A separate summer certification must also be signed if a student is working over the summer. A student must also sign a new certification for each position/department for which they are working. W-4 and I-9 forms only need to be completed once. 

We are committed to providing a central location for students who wish to seek employment. St. Catherine University is an equal opportunity employer and we must ensure all students have the opportunity to be aware of open positions and apply for them. Departments may recruit students in other ways as a complement to Handshake. However, a student employment application should still be completed via the website in order to be considered for the position. 

Time sheets are hosted online in Banner. Time sheets are established once Human Resources receives the certification form for the position and the I-9/W-4 form for brand new student workers.

Students are paid on a biweekly basis and time sheets should be submitted the Monday following the end of the pay period. Supervisors have until the end of the following Tuesday to approve time.

If it is a new student worker, check with her to make sure they have turned in all of their paperwork (certification, I-9 and W-4). If all paperwork has been turned in, please email

Once a student worker has terminated his/her position with your department, you should email with the student’s ID number, name, and the date of the termination. The student’s payroll record will then be closed out.

Due to federal laws and regulations, international students may not exceed 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment. However, all other students may work up to the number of hours per week they feel comfortable. We strongly suggest that no student work over 20 hours per week and feel that working 10-15 hours per week will help a student increase her income while not affecting academic performance.

J-term and other short breaks, such as spring break, count toward a student's financial aid award. If students are working during these breaks, their awards can generally be increased to allow for the extra hours. Summer is considered a non-enrollment period. FICA and Medicare taxes are withheld from student paychecks during this time, which they are exempt from during the academic year. Please note students must always pay Federal and Minnesota state taxes year-round, the extent of which is determined by her W-4 filing status.