Types of Financial Aid

A college education is an investment in your future. At St. Kate’s, we are committed to helping you find ways to make that investment affordable. We offer competitive scholarships and need-based grants, along with student employment and low interest loan financing.


Scholarships & Grants
Scholarships and grants are financial aid that you do not have to repay. These funds are offered based on merit and/or need.

  • St. Catherine Merit Scholarships: St. Catherine University scholarships are offered based on academic merit, talent, and/or personal characteristics to entering students at the time of admission. Most scholarships require full-time enrollment (twelve or more credits for undergraduate and six or more credits for graduate students). Merit scholarships are renewable for the length of time indicated in the original scholarship notification letter provided the student enrolls consecutively at St. Kate’s and maintains satisfactory academic progress.
  • St. Catherine Grant: Offered to undergraduate students who are completing their first degree based on financial need, enrollment status, housing choice and academic record.
  • St. Catherine Endowed Scholarships: The selection process for named, endowed scholarships is directed by the wishes of the donor of the scholarship. Endowed scholarships generally help fund all or a portion of students’ St. Catherine Grants and Scholarships.

  • Federal Pell Grant: Offered to undergraduate students based on financial need. The current lifetime limit for Pell Grant eligibility is 12 semesters of full-time study.
  • Federal Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant: Offered to undergraduate students who are not eligible for Federal Pell Grant based on their EFC (as determined by the FAFSA) but who otherwise meet Pell eligibility requirements, and whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and who is under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): As federal funds are available, SEOG is offered to undergraduate student Pell recipients who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Priority is given to Pell Grant recipients who have a 0 Expected Family Contribution.
  • Federal TEACH Grant: Provides grants up to $4,000 per year to students enrolled in a TEACH-grant eligible program of study who intend to teach in a high-need field at a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Recipients must teach for at least four academic years within eight years of graduation. Noncompliance with program requirements will convert the TEACH grant into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, which would then need to be repaid with interest to the U.S. Department of Education. Learn more and find out how to apply by visiting our website.

Additional information can be found at studentaid.gov.

  • Minnesota State Grant: Minnesota State Grants are available to eligible undergraduate MN residents based on need for the equivalent of eight semesters of full-time enrollment. To receive the maximum amount, a student must enroll for at least fifteen credits per semester. State Grants are reduced on a per-credit basis. The amount listed on your aid notification is subject to change according to changes in legislation at the state level each year. For the most recent award year, the maximum state grant was $13,186.
  • Minnesota Dream Act: Undocumented undergraduate students can apply for state grant funding by completing a MN Dream Act application. Additional eligibility criteria apply, and documentation must be submitted to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. Additional information can be found at the MN Dream Act website.
  • Minnesota Student Teacher Grant: Provides postsecondary financial assistance to eligible students enrolled in Minnesota teacher preparation programs during a single term in which the student is completing a required 12 week or more student teaching experience. Students may either qualify for the Minnesota Student Teachers in Shortage Areas Grant or the Minnesota Underrepresented Student Teacher Grant. Students may receive awards of up to $7,500 for a single term.
  • Minnesota Post-Secondary Child Care Grant: Minnesota Child Care Grants up to $6,500 are available to eligible MN resident undergraduate and graduate students based on need for the equivalent of ten semesters of full-time enrollment. Learn more and complete your application by visiting our website.

Information regarding additional state gift aid programs can be found on the Minnesota Office of Higher Education’s “Financial Aid You Don’t Repay” website.

  • Outside Scholarships: A list of reputable scholarship search engine sites have been made accessible to students on the Financial Aid Scholarship webpage. These search engines provide increased access for students to outside scholarship resources and expanded options for the individualized matching of scholarships. Our Money Management Program can assist students with their outside scholarship search process. Contact moneymentors@stkate.edu or 651-690-6815.
  • Veterans Benefits: Please see https://www.stkate.edu/admission-and-aid/military-veteran-aid for information and resources on veteran benefits.
  • Other Outside Gift Aid: Additional outside aid that does not need to be repaid includes employer tuition reimbursement (check with your employer, or your parent’s employer if you’re a dependent student) or vocational rehabilitation benefits. These forms of assistance are generally sent to the Student Accounts Office and applied to the student’s account for tuition and related expenses.


Work Study (Student Employment) & Loans
Self-help forms of aid must be earned or repaid.

  • Federal or State Work Study: Federal and State Work-Study programs provide students with an opportunity to gain meaningful employment to help finance their college education. The offered amount is an estimate of the student’s earning potential during the academic year; it does not guarantee job placement or a minimum number of hours. Work-study earnings are not an up-front credit on your student account; students must obtain a job and work regular hours in order to secure these funds. Learn more about work-study and how to apply for jobs through the Student Employment web page.
  • University Student Employment: St. Catherine University allocates significant funding for student employment, and many positions are available to undergraduate students who do not qualify for federal or state work study. Learn more about available positions and how to apply for jobs through the Student Employment web page.

Loans are offered based on student eligibility. You will automatically be considered for the best loan available. We encourage you to borrow only the minimum necessary to cover your educational expenses.

  • Loans must be repaid with interest. Some loans accrue interest immediately upon disbursement; others will not begin to accrue interest until after graduation.
  • You are responsible for repaying any loans borrowed and for paying your University bill, regardless of whether you are successful in completing your program and obtaining employment. Multiple repayment options will be explained during your loan counseling.
  • It is important for you and your family to consider how much to borrow. Please complete a St. Catherine Cost Estimation worksheet and borrow only what you need each year.

The amount an undergraduate student may borrow each year in federal programs is determined by a number of factors, including your year in college — also known as your grade level. The following chart outlines student grade levels based on the total number of credits earned.

Degree Program Credits Earned Grade Level
0-29 1
30+ 2
College for Women & College for Adults: Baccalaureate 0-29 1
30-59 2
60-89 3
90+ 4


For information on yearly loan limits based on grade level, review the Undergraduate Loan Comparison Chart on our Apply for Loans webpage. Additional information regarding the types of loans available, and their terms, is available on the Student Aid website.


  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans: St. Catherine University participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. The program provides low-interest loans for students enrolled at least half-time.
  • Nursing Loans: Federal Nursing Loans are offered to undergraduate and graduate students accepted into nursing programs who demonstrate financial need. Availability is limited based on federal funding allocated to the University.
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Parent or Graduate PLUS): The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is available to graduate/professional students and parents of dependent students to help pay for educational expenses. Eligibility is not based on financial need, but a credit check is required.
  • Private Alternative Student Loans: Alternative private education loans are offered by commercial lenders. These loans are made to students and parents and may have fixed or variable interest rates and accrue interest from the time the loan funds are disbursed. These are credit-based loans and may require a cosigner. Terms and conditions vary by lender. St. Catherine University recommends that all eligible degree seeking students apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and exhaust all eligible grant, scholarship, and direct loan program options before considering an alternative education loan.

All of the information provided on the Apply for Loans page regarding alternative student loans is reviewed annually to ensure that the benefits lenders offer continue to adhere to our criteria. Any loan options that no longer meet our criteria are removed, and new options are added. At least three lenders will be presented at all times.