Access and Success

Access and Success is a unique program created to support St. Catherine students raising children. The program is open to any student with a child(ren), regardless of income, age of child, marital status, or degree level.

  • we can help

    Supporting Students Raising Children

    Whether you want help navigating childcare options, balancing classes with the rest of your busy life, connecting with other student parents or getting resources to support and stabilize your family—we are here for you.

    Feel free to call, email or stop into our offices.

contact us

St. Paul Campus
Coeur de Catherine | Room 493
651.690.6894 or 651.690.8696

Minneapolis Campus
Education Building | Room 361, 363
651.690.7870 or 651.690.7874

  • support services

    Connecting Student-Parents to the Support They Need

    Access and Success has offices on both campuses with caring, skilled staff who are there to get to know you and connect you to the support and resources you need to meet your academic goals.

Local Resources

Contact Access & Success for information about:

  • after-school programs
  • childcare provider lists
  • summer camps and programs
  • help paying for childcare
  • crisis childcare

Post Secondary Child Care Grant
Post-Secondary Child Care Grant is available through the Financial Aid Office. The Child Care Grant program provides financial assistance to students who have children 12 and under, are not receiving assistance under the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), and who demonstrate financial need for grants, to help pay for child care while pursuing a postsecondary education.

Applicants must:

  • meet state residency requirements.
  • not be recipients of MFIP.
  • be enrolled 6-15 credits per term (undergraduates) or 1-6 credits per term (graduates).
  • be an undergraduate or graduate student who has been enrolled full time less than ten semesters or the equivalent, or have a baccalaureate degree and been enrolled full time less than ten semesters or the equivalent in a graduate or professional degree program. Students who have withdrawn for active military service after December 31, 2002 are given an extra term of eligibility.
  • New for the 2017-18 academic year, eligibility has been extended to five years at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
  • not be in default of any educational loan.
  • be making satisfactory progress.
  • not be receiving tuition reciprocity benefits from another state.

2018–2019 Postsecondary Child Care Grant Program Application

Rec Check
Rec Check is a free after-school program for youth in grades 1–5 provided at the recreation centers listed on their website. Rec Check is open for youth who live or attend school in Saint Paul.

The program is held on weekdays between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. on days when Saint Paul Public Schools have classes in session. Start times may vary due to varying school release times. Children participate in a variety of structured, supervised activities, including tutoring sessions, craft-making, reading, and more. To promote health and fitness, staff will engage the youth daily in physical activity. A daily snack is also provided.

You need to register your child. All sites have limited enrollment. Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Some locations allow you to begin the registration process online, but additional registration forms must be completed onsite before a child may attend.

Local Minneapolis Crisis Nursery
Greater Minneapolis Crisis Nursery works to end child abuse and neglect and create strong, healthy families. The Crisis Nursery supports families in crisis 24 hours a day, 365 days a year through our free, voluntary services:

  • 24-hour Crisis Helpline: 763-591-0100
  • Crisis Counseling
  • Overnight Residential Child Care
  • Parent Education and Parent Support Groups

Potential clients, please call 763-591-0100 to access Crisis Nursery services. All other callers can get additional information by calling 763-591-0400.

Sick, Drop-in/Short-term Childcare
For information on providers of short-term, sick or drop-in childcare services please contact and Access and Success staff person as soon as you are able.

St. Kate's Babysitters
The child-friendly study rooms on both the Minneapolis and St. Paul campus each contain a 3-ring binder listing St. Kate's students who are interested in babysitting. Their availability and special skills are listed. Access and Success has not interviewed these students, therefore we recommend you interview and visit with them before hiring, as well as establish an agreed upon rate.

Child Friendly Study Spaces
Access and Success has rooms equipped with computers, a printer, study spaces, and an adjacent playroom for your children on both St. Kate's campuses.

Lactation Rooms
Quiet and private spaces for expressing milk or nursing your baby are available on both St. Paul and Minneapolis campuses.

  • St. Paul: Coeur de Catherine room 490; Whitby Hall 3rd floor, across from room 314; Fontbonne Hall, Room 217; Library 76.
  • Minneapolis: Old Main, Room 244.

The Early Childhood Center and Montessori Program
The Early Childhood Center and Montessori Program is located in the lower level of St. Mary's Hall on the St. Paul campus and provides care to children ages 33 months to 6 years. The Early Childhood Center is a department independent of the Access and Success program.

For further information, contact the Center at 651.690.6608 or visit them at the Early Childhood Center.

National Resources

National Child Care Resource and Referral
Contacting your local Child Care Resource and Referral Organization can help you locate and choose quality child care by providing referrals to local child care providers, information on state licensing requirements, availability of child care subsidies, and other information. To find a Local Child Care Resource and Referral organization visit the:

Childcare Aware Search Form

Or call toll free at 800.424.2246.

National Crisis Nurseries
Many metro areas have crisis services available to care for children on a short-term basis. These services are available to parents who are experiencing a crisis, may need to be hospitalized or may just need a break. To locate services in your area contact United Way by calling 211 or 1-800-543-7709.

Student parents often find that finances are a source of stress when they start or work to complete their education. Access and Success staff can be a source of support and help as you work to make ends meet. Access and Success social workers work with you to find out if you may be eligible for a wide range of public benefits and can help you to connect to other sources of assistance.

Contact Access and Success for more information on emergency loans or grants that might be available to assist you in a financial emergency.

Local Resources

Check out St. Kate's financial aid for scholarship information, or Live Your Dream, which provides educational grants to low income women with dependent children who are the primary financial providers for their families.

Money Management Program
In addition, student parents can take advantage of the Money Management program at St. Catherine. The Money Management Program provides financial education and resources to students through presentations, workshops, one-on-one counseling and courses.

Public Benefits Calculator
Student parents often find that their income is reduced while they are completing their education. Contact an Access and Success staff person if you live in Minnesota and would like the staff to work with you to screen you to see if you and your family might be eligible for any public benefits that could ease your financial stress.

Diaper Discount Program
Access and Success has partnered with and the Community Diaper Program to offer diapers at a discount! The program is open to student parents currently enrolled at St. Catherine University. For more information or to sign up, please contact a staff person.

Free Assistance Preparing Your Taxes
Prepare + Prosper provides free tax and financial services and volunteer-based financial coaching.

National Resources

IRS Tax Preparation Service
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

If you are unemployed and need support while you complete your education you may want to see if you qualify for the Dislocated Worker Program. This national site can connect you with programs in your area.

Need additional financial help? Contact Access and Success for more information.

Local Resources

Finding a Food Shelf
The Twin Cities is served by a network of agencies, which maintain emergency food shelves to assist people who temporarily are not able to meet their food needs. Generally you must provide proof that you live in the agency's service area. Food Shelves can provide up to a week of free food. Check out Hunger Solutions for a food shelf in your area.

Fare for All
Save money on groceries by using Fare for All to help stretch your food dollars.

If you would like to be screened for eligibility for public benefits program such as WIC (Women Infants and Children) or SNAP (Supplemental Food Assistance Program) please contact an Access and Success staff person who can confidentially screen you for eligibility.

National Resources

Most communities offer food assistance programs.

  • Feeding America helps locate services and resources near you.
  • 2-1-1 will help you find food resources available to you in your community.

Additional Resources

Eat Well on $4 per Day, Good and Cheap is a New York Times best seller, this cookbook is designed for those on a strict budget who still want to eat healthily. Check out these great, easy recipes.

Finding affordable and safe housing is essential. Contact Access and Success to learn more about the housing resources available on and off campus, including subsidized housing and housing crisis help.

From personal support to physical health are many safety and well-being resources for you and your family while on and off campus. Contact Access and Success for more information on:

  • Personal Support
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Personal Safety
  • Physical Health
  • Health Care Resources
  • Spiritual Health
  • Cultural Health
  • Youth & Family Services

Access and Success recommends these options for saving money on transportation:

College Go-To Pass (Metro Bus Pass)
The College Go-To Passes for fall semester are available at the Information Center on the St. Paul campus. These passes are good for one semester and allows you to use public transportation at a reduced rate.

United Way 2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember, three-digit number that families and individuals in Minnesota and western Wisconsin can call to obtain free and confidential information on health and human services. 2-1-1 call centers are staffed 24/7 by trained Information and Referral Specialists who quickly assess needs and refer callers to the help that they seek.

For more resources, try 2-1-1. Cell phone users can call 651.291.0211. Toll free: 1.800.543.7709. Multilingual lines are available.

around campus

Whether you are working out, looking for a place to study, attending mass
or spending an evening at the theater, there's a place for you at St. Kate's.

Maps & Directions