Timeline of Minneapolis Campus History

Through its iterations as a school of nursing, junior college, and St. Kate's campus, the Minneapolis site was a landmark of building student access and welcoming the dear neighbor. Its legacy continues in all that faculty, staff, Sisters of St. Joseph, students, alumni, and community partners have accomplished together.

 

Timeline of comprehensive St. Catherine University history

 

1887

The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet assume administration of a hospital started by the Sisters of Mercy. The hospital site would become St. Mary’s Hospital.

1900

St. Mary’s Hospital School of Nursing opens, admitting three students.

1903

The first class of nursing students graduates: Mattie Krinbring, Mary Kelly, and Anna Goslin.

1942

The College of St. Catherine Department of Nursing assumes direction of both St. Mary's and St. Joseph's Hospital programs.

1957

The St. Mary's School of Nursing incorporates as an independent, three-year diploma program.

1964

St. Mary's Junior College develops from the independent St. Mary's School of Nursing.

1986

St. Mary’s Hospital merges with Fairview Healthcare Services.
St. Mary’s Junior College merges with St. Kate's and is renamed the St. Mary's Campus of the College of St. Catherine.

1991

In accordance with the terms of the merger, the St. Mary’s Hospital name changes to Fairview Riverside.

2009

The College of St. Catherine becomes St. Catherine University.

2017

The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet gift the physical Minneapolis Campus to St. Catherine University. The land and buildings had been owned by the Sisters for 130 years.

2018

With the support of the CSJs, St. Catherine University announces campus integration strategy "One University," relocating its Minneapolis-based coursework and resources to available space on the St. Paul campus.

2019

St. Catherine University and Fairview Healthcare Services announce they have signed a purchase agreement for the Minneapolis campus.

2020

Integration of Minneapolis campus programs and services to the St. Paul campus is complete.