Student Employment Forms and FAQ

Practical reasons to work on campus include: flexible scheduling around your courses, athletic events or other campus activities, convenient access (no car required!), and the fact that on-campus jobs pay more than the federal minimum wage.

Human Resources Information for Student Workers

All open positions for students are posted in Handshake, (Getting Started Guide). 

Student workers are important members of the St. Kate's community. We view campus employment as an integral part of the education and professional development of our students.

Research shows that students employed on campus do better in school and are more likely to graduate than those who do not work on campus. They develop good time management skills as well as build relationships with members of the campus community outside the classroom.

Current Students

Resources for current St. Kate’s students looking for open positions or currently employed students—email with any questions.



Students who work on campus are making valuable connections with other students, staff, and faculty within the St. Kate’s community. Practical reasons to work on campus include: flexible scheduling around your courses, athletic events or other campus activities, convenient access (no car required!), and the fact that on-campus jobs pay more than the federal minimum wage. Additionally, students who work on-campus are exempt from FICA tax, so you earn 7.65% more each pay period than if you work off-campus.

As a student at St. Kate’s, you are expected to help contribute toward your educational expenses. Work-study is one way to do so. If you decide to utilize work-study you will receive a bi-weekly paycheck throughout the semester. If you have a student account balance you can take your paycheck directly to the Student Accounts Office and have it applied toward your account. If you do not have a balance you can deposit your check into a personal savings or checking account and use it toward day to day expenses. Work-study funds are not applied to your account at the beginning of the semester. You earn them over the course of the semester.

The amount you earn depends upon how much you work. We strongly suggest that no student work over 20 hours per week and feel that working 10-15 hours per week will help a student increase her income without affecting academic performance. 

Keep in mind that you can also work over January term and spring break, as offices on campus are open during these times. Any earnings during these breaks can count toward your financial aid work-study award.

There is a large variety of on-campus jobs. Possibilities include Digital Engagement Ambassador, Admission Ambassador, Office Assistant, Meeting & Events staff, Library Student Assistant, Math & Science Tutor, Lifeguard, America Reads Tutor, Dining Services Staff, Childcare Aide, Costume Assistant, O’Shaughnessy Usher, and more.

All applications must be in by June 1 in order to be eligible for job placement. Students who apply early and those with federal or state work study awards will be prioritized for placement. Students who we are unable to place via the placement program will be notified and will be given instructions about conducting their own campus jobs search.

You will be asked to rank some of your job preferences on your application form. Though we cannot guarantee that you will be placed to your preferred position (sometimes schedule conflicts make this impossible), we will do our best to place you to a position that fits your interests and skills.

You will receive a confirmation letter in the mail telling you about your new position in mid to late August.

Since work-study is considered a resource for paying your educational costs, if you decide not to participate in work-study you will need to find alternative ways to pay your student account balance. Perhaps you worked over the summer and were able to save money for college, you or your parents have alternative resources you can utilize, or decide to borrow additional loan funding to cover the work-study portion of your financial aid. You should talk with your financial aid counselor about what options are available to you and your family.

Many students decide to work on-campus during summer, too. Not all positions may be available during summer break. Since summer is considered a period of non-enrollment it does not count toward your financial aid work-study award. However, there is an expectation that students will work over the summer, whether on or off-campus, to help contribute toward their educational expenses for the upcoming school year.

Students who do not get their Priority Hiring Applications in before the June 1 deadline will need to conduct a traditional campus job search using St. Kate's online job posting and search site called Handshake when they arrive to campus. When applying via KatieCareer a resume is always required and sometimes a cover letter. Handshake will be available to new incoming students shortly after arriving in September. A mandatory student employment session at Orientation will cover the application steps, Handshake and more. If you miss this session, contact Career Development at for assistance regarding how to use Handshake and write a resume, and contact Student Employment at for assistance regarding the priority hiring process and searching for on-campus jobs.

Contact the Student Employment office at or 651-690-6565.

Supervisor FAQ

All open positions must be posted in Handshake.

Steps to Review Applications

  • Hiring managers should review applicants with federal or state work study funds first, although all students are encouraged to apply. International students should also be considered in the first group of applicants since they are unable to work off-campus due to federal and state regulations.
  • Once applications are sent to your department, you can contact those students you wish to interview. Each department is responsible for notifying

Steps to Hire

  • Once you have hired a student, contact
  • When speaking with your student worker, ask if they have ever worked on campus in the past. If the student has never received a paycheck from the college, they will need to complete I-9 and W-4 forms prior to beginning work. The form requires verification of eligibility to work in the United States. Acceptable documents for this verification are listed at US Citizenship and Immigration Services. These forms may be completed in Human Resources. These are the only places that are authorized to verify the necessary documents. Do not authorize this form yourself.
  • A new certification must be signed each academic year, even for returning students. A separate summer certification must also be signed if a student is working over the summer. A student must also sign a new certification for each position/department for which they are working. W-4 and I-9 forms only need to be completed once. 

We are committed to providing a central location for students who wish to seek employment. St. Catherine University is an equal opportunity employer and we must ensure all students have the opportunity to be aware of open positions and apply for them. Departments may recruit students in other ways as a complement to Handshake. However, a student employment application should still be completed via the website in order to be considered for the position. 

Time sheets are hosted online in Banner. Time sheets are established once Human Resources receives the certification form for the position and the I-9/W-4 form for brand new student workers.

Students are paid on a biweekly basis and time sheets should be submitted the Monday following the end of the pay period. Supervisors have until the end of the following Tuesday to approve time.

If it is a new student worker, check with her to make sure they have turned in all of their paperwork (certification, I-9 and W-4). If all paperwork has been turned in, please email

Once a student worker has terminated his/her position with your department, you should email with the student’s ID number, name, and the date of the termination. The student’s payroll record will then be closed out.

Due to federal laws and regulations, international students may not exceed 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment. However, all other students may work up to the number of hours per week they feel comfortable. We strongly suggest that no student work over 20 hours per week and feel that working 10-15 hours per week will help a student increase her income while not affecting academic performance.

J-term and other short breaks, such as spring break, count toward a student's financial aid award. If students are working during these breaks, their awards can generally be increased to allow for the extra hours. Summer is considered a non-enrollment period. FICA and Medicare taxes are withheld from student paychecks during this time, which they are exempt from during the academic year. Please note students must always pay Federal and Minnesota state taxes year-round, the extent of which is determined by her W-4 filing status.

Please email