Student Accounts FAQ

KatePay, Billing and Payment

KatePay is St Kate’s online billing system. Electronic billing statements are a convenient and reliable alternative to paper bills. You will be sent an email notification to your St. Kate’s email account when a statement is available for viewing, usually on the first business day of each month. You also have the ability to give access to authorized users to view your statements and/or make payments. Each person with access to KatePay will receive an email notification when a new statement is generated.

Electronic Check or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Payments may be made from a U.S. personal checking or savings account. Some financial institutions do not allow EFTs from certain savings accounts. If you have questions concerning the availability of EFT from your account, please contact your bank or credit union directly. A $35 bank fee will be added to your student account for any returned payments.

Credit or Debit Card – Payments may be made by Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover. Credit card payments are handled through PayPath ®, a tuition payment service. A non-refundable 2.85% service fee will be added to your payment.

All students automatically participate in KatePay because statements are produced in electronic format only. One of the benefits of KatePay is the 24 hour access to online bills and account balances. Students may use any of the public computer labs during posted hours to access their KatePay account.

When a new statement has been posted to KatePay, an email message will be sent to the St. Kate’s student email address. In addition to the student email address, notifications will also be sent to the email account(s) specified in the authorized user profiles. Students also have the option to set up one additional email address and/or a text message phone number in KatePay by selecting the Notifications link under My Profile Setup.

Students can set up any third party, including parents, as "Authorized Users.” This allows the third party or parent to view billing statements, 1098T documents or make payments on behalf of the student. By adding an Authorized User a student is providing the Student Accounts Office authorization to discuss the student account in detail with the authorized third party.

To establish an Authorized User:

When KatePay comes up:

  • Select the Authorized Users link under My Profile Setup
  • Enter the email address of the third party you are authorizing
  • Select "Yes" or "No" for the three questions
  • Click Continue
  • Review the Agreement and check the I Agree box and Continue

An email will then be sent to the Authorized User with instructions on how to complete his/her new profile.

Your student has several options for providing a copy of their statement to third parties including parents, spouses, etc. through the KatePay online billing system:

  1. Your student can set you up as an authorized user on their account, which allows you to view their statements at any time. (Federal FERPA regulations require that every individual party granted access to account information be assigned a unique user ID.)
  2. OR: Your student can forward a copy of the statement as an attachment to an email.
  3. OR: Your student can print the statement and provide it to you in hard copy format.

As a parent or other third party user, your student must first set you up as an "authorized user" in the KatePay System. After receiving the notification email that your student has "authorized" you, you may then access the system. After logging into the system, you can change your password, review the statement, view past statements, make a payment, or view any past payment you have made on the student’s behalf (dependent upon access granted by student). A link to the login screen will be included in the notification email, or you may access it by clicking the link below.

Similar to students, you have several options for paying your student’s statement:

  1. If your student has set you up as an authorized user, you can login to KatePay and pay the statement electronically.
  2. You can also print off a copy of the statement and mail a payment (check, money order, or cashier’s check made out to St. Catherine University) to:

    St. Catherine University
    2004 Randolph Avenue, F-38
    St. Paul, MN 55105
  3. You can pay in person at the Student Accounts Office:

St. Paul Campus
Derham, Room 230
2004 Randolph Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105
Hours: By appointment only Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.

No. Due to authorizations that must be obtained for electronic funds transfers, the University is unable to process payment transactions via phone.

Paying the statement electronically is optional. You can pay your statement by printing a copy of the statement from KatePay and mailing it with a check, money order or cashier’s check to the address printed on the statement:

St. Catherine University
Student Accounts, F-38
2004 Randolph Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105

You can also pay your statement in person at the Student Accounts Office window on the St. Paul campus with cash, check, money order or cashier’s check.

Standard Payment Option: Payment is due in full by the first day of class each semester for any amounts not covered by financial aid. A 1% finance fee is assessed on the last University business day of each month on any unpaid balance.

Installment Payment Plan Options: The due dates for the installment plans vary by semester. For full details or to enroll in one of these options, go online to KatePay and select the Payment Plans tab. An email is sent to all registered students and their authorized users at the start of the semester with enrollment and payment plan information.

Hold: Whether a student chooses the Standard Payment Option or one of the Installment Payment Plan Options, a balance hold is placed on the student account until the balance is paid in full.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students.” Generally, schools must have written permission from the eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record, which includes student account information.

In order for Student Accounts Office staff to discuss student account information with a parent or other third party, the student must first set that person up as an "Authorized User" or complete the Consent to Release Student Information.


Generally, though there are exceptions, students receive a refund when a credit balance is created on their student account. The typical reason(s) for the credit may be due to one or more of the following:

  • Financial aid in excess of student account charges
  • Overpayment
  • Reversal of charges - due to dropped courses
  • Reversal of charges - due to appeal or other
  • Deposit payments applied to student account
  • Other

Refunds will be processed approximately 14 days after the first day of classes each semester. Refunds for a credit balance are issued electronically on Fridays. Any refund balance that results from using American Express/VISA/MasterCard/Discover will be credited back directly to the card.

Student refunds will be disbursed electronically via ACH. The ACH process transfers the refund directly into your existing bank account.

Electronic refunds are refunds from your St. Catherine University student account, electronically deposited directly to a United States bank account designated by you.

Yes, effective Fall 2011, refunds will only be distributed electronically; no paper checks will be processed. If a student account was paid with a credit card, any refund or financial aid will be refunded back to the credit card before any money is refunded to the student. There will be no exceptions to this policy.

You will need to update your refund profile in KatePay immediately. If funds are sent to a closed account, the University must wait for the funds to be returned before issuing a new electronic refund to you.

Refunds will be deposited into any valid United States checking or savings account as designated by you, the student.

Navigate to KatePay

When KatePay comes up:

  • Click on Refunds on the top tabs or Electronic Refunds on the right side
  • Click on Set up Account
  • Enter your checking or savings account information (Some financial institutions do not allow EFTs from certain savings accounts. If you have questions concerning the availability of EFT from your account, please contact your bank or credit union directly.)
  • Scroll down
  • Save the payment method by giving it a nickname
  • Click on Continue
  • Click on I Agree
  • Scroll down
  • Click on Continue
  • A screen should come up that says "Your new ACH payment method has been saved"

Yes, you will receive an email when the electronic refund has been initiated, but please allow one to two business days for the funds to be deposited into your bank account. Be sure to verify with your bank that the funds are available before using them.

No. Only students can select an account for the refund profile; Authorized Users do not have access to this option.

Electronic refunds are safe, simple, and convenient. No need to wait in line at the bank. No worries about mail delays or lost checks. Your money gets in your bank account faster.

There are several reasons why the University is excited about going exclusively to electronic refunds:

  • Convenient – students can avoid lines at the bank and update their refund profile 24/7/365 as needed.
  • Security – students enter their own banking information into the system so there is no need to share account information with another person. Also, no lost or stolen checks in the mail.
  • Quick – students get their refunds much quicker when electronically refunded.
  • Efficient – the eBill/ePay system allows for the student to update their own bank account information as needed, eliminating the need for paper authorization forms and manual data entry by office personnel.
  • Cost effective – Electronic refunds reduce the costs associated with paper checks for both the University and the student (i.e. - check stock, postage, envelopes, transportation to bank, time, stop payment fees, etc.)
  • Environmentally friendly – Electronic refunds reduce paper consumption by eliminating the need for authorization forms, check stock, envelopes, deposit slips, etc.

1098T Tax Form

1098-T forms are available in KatePay under the My Account Tab, click on Statements, and then select the 1098-T Tax Statements tab. To open, click on the Action gear and select View. Internet Explorer works best. You must have Adobe Acrobat 8.0 or higher installed on your computer and your pop-up blocker must be disabled.

If the form is showing up blank, then you need to be sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader. There is a link to the update in KatePay where you downloaded the form; you will need to restart your browser once you install the update. Adobe is not supported by Apple, so you must use a PC. We recommend using Internet Explorer as it is set up to automatically open all PDFs with Adobe. If you still have issues viewing your form, please contact the HelpDesk for assistance at 651-690-6402.

Student Fees

A Student Activity Fee is charged to all St. Catherine University students each semester. The fee is used to support various student programs and events and to support the operations of the Coeur de Catherine Student Center. The fee and how it is allocated varies according to the different student populations.

A technology fee is assessed each semester to students who register for classes. While this fee in no way covers the full technology expenses of the University, it will help defray the annual cost of licensing and maintenance for our core and wireless networks, student enterprise system, course management system, email, and various systems for improving student services and life on campus such as advising, degree audit, and mobile apps for student class information, schedule, and grades.

All College for Women students will be required to participate in a meal plan, even non-resident students. To this end, a special Copper Meal Plan has been created for commuters and apartment residents. Commuter students (and apartment residents not selecting another plan) will be enrolled in the Copper Plan, which is $100 (100 flex points) per semester.

A 1% finance fee is assessed on the last University business day of each month on any unpaid balance. In order to avoid the assessment of finance charges, the entire balance on account must be paid in full by the due date.

The Employer Reimbursement Form allows students that are reimbursed by employers the ability to pay tuition after classes are complete without the account becoming delinquent. Please note that a 1% monthly finance fee is assessed on any balance not paid by the Standard Payment Option due date. The Student Financial Responsibility Agreement you signed specifically addresses the finance charge that will be assessed.

Delinquent Accounts with a Hold

If the question you have is regarding your financial aid package and/or any student loans, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at 651-690-6540 (St. Paul) or 651-690-7805 (MPLS).

If your question is regarding your tuition bill and/or making payments on your account, you should contact the Student Accounts Office at 651-690-6503 or

If you have an AD hold, your account has been placed with an outside collection agency. Please contact Student Accounts if you need the agency’s contact information.

A hold will remain on your account, preventing release of your official transcript and class registration until your account is paid in full. If you pay by check, there is a 10-business day hold for the check to clear.

You will receive a letter and/or phone call from one of our collection agencies. You will work directly with the agency to schedule payment(s). A hold will remain on your account preventing registration and/or release of your official transcript until your account is paid in full.

Yes, the unpaid balance may be reported to a credit bureau and may show on your credit report for up to for seven years. This also means that your credit score is negatively affected.

If there is a balance on your account, you will also have a hold until it is paid in full. Please contact us if you need your hold opened and we may be able to temporarily open it.

We cannot hold a balance on your student account nor can you pay in advance for a future term that has not yet been billed.

Virtual Advisor