In addition to helping you connect with your assigned academic advisor, we can help you:
- Change your advisor
- Refer you to other campus departments to meet your goals
- Address concerns with courses or instructors
- Cope with academic stress
- Register for courses through the Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities (ACTC)
- Discuss the appropriateness of grade or refund appeals
Your Academic Advisor
During your first semester as an undergraduate student, St. Kate’s will assign an advisor who cares about you and your academic success. It’s your advisor’s primary goal to help you adjust to life at St. Kate’s and understand the requirements for your degree. He or she also can direct you to additional campus resources to help you succeed during your first semester and throughout your degree program.
At the end of your first semester, you will be assigned to:
- a faculty advisor in your major
- a pre-nursing advisor if you are pre-nursing in the College for Women
- an advisor from the Academic Advising office if you are still deciding on your major
As a pre-nursing student, you will have specific prerequisites to complete and you will need to closely track your GPA before applying to nursing school. We have resources to help you navigate this process.
Preparing to Meet With Your Advisor
Your academic advisor will provide you with feedback on your academic progress and serve as a sounding board for your academic journey. Advisors have knowledge of campus resources that are available to help you when they can’t. They can also help beyond the classroom, with activities, internships, jobs and grad school preparation. You can expect your advisor to post and keep office hours, return calls and emails promptly and know the requirements and options for your degree program.