The historic roots of Our Lady of Victory Chapel and Mother Antonia McHugh, CSJ, the St. Catherine leader responsible for building has been highlighted by writer Curt Brown in the Star Tribune. "The nun, and the mystery, behind St. Kate's Chapel" was published in the Sunday, Jan. 11 edition of the paper.
Our Lady of Victory Chapel: Monument – Mystery – Mission was written by Mary Ann Brenden, social work professor and a consociate member of the Sisters of St. Joseph, who extensively researched the history of Our Lady of Victory Chapel and Antonia McHugh CSJ. The book grew from Brenden's popular "Chapel Talk" that discussed the Chapel's history, architectural influences and details, and their meaning.
An icon on the St. Kate's St. Paul campus, Our Lady of Victory Chapel was dedicated on October 7, 1924 and since that time has hosted academic celebrations, commencement hooding ceremonies, holiday liturgies, weddings and funerals. Mother Antonia, dean and president of St. Catherine, was a woman with vision and tremendous energy, who marshaled donors, builders and community to erect a building that would embody the charism of the Sisters of the St. Joseph of Carondelet and the mission of St. Catherine.
Brenden’s story, illustrated by numerous photos, was produced by St. Catherine University and proceeds from the book will support preservation of the Chapel.