How COVID-19 Affects Travel and Study Abroad
Due to COVID-19 mitigation efforts and in an effort to contain costs, all University-related travel, both domestic and international, will be suspended through August 31. We will reassess this policy in July for fall travel. Requests for exceptions will be reviewed and decided by the Incident Management Team. The request should be made through your leadership structure, who will forward it to the Incident Management Team.
Any person (faculty, staff, students, and visitors) who traveled in a country with a CDC Level 3 Travel Health Notice (due to the novel coronavirus) will take the following steps before arriving on a St. Kate's campus:
- Stay home for 14 days after leaving a country with a CDC Level 3 Travel Health Notice.
- Monitor your health and immediately report any symptoms of illness consistent with COVID-19 infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath) to the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-5414.
- Faculty and staff should contact Human Resources before returning to work.
If you know that you have been exposed to the coronavirus, you must self quarantine at home for 14 days. Contact the MDH immediately at 651-201-5414 if you develop symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Follow MDH recommendations regarding when it is safe for you to return to work. You must contact Human Resources prior to reporting to work.
- Faculty should contact CHADs and deans to discuss any specific issues related to sick leave or family leave. (View Faculty Leave Policy, Adjunct Faculty Leave Policy)
- Staff should contact their direct supervisor to inform them of their need to use sick leave and that they will be out of work. (View Employee Handbook – Staff Leave Policy 4.18.e.1)
- For those individuals on the University’s Health Plan, telemedical options are available including Virtuwell (www.virtuwell.com) and Doctor on Demand (www.doctorondemand.com). You may also contact the HealthPartners Nurse line at 612-339-3663 for additional consultation regarding symptoms.
If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 infection — such as a fever, cough, or shortness of breath — within 14 days of your return from personal or official travel to a country with a Level 3 Travel Health Notice (due to the novel coronavirus) OR have been in close contact with someone who has confirmed COVID-19, immediately contact the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-5414. Please do not show up at a clinic, urgent care, or other health facility without calling first.
Close contact is defined as being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of a person with confirmed COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time, or having direct contact with infectious secretions of a COVID-19 case (e.g., being coughed on) without wearing personal protective equipment.