Questions to ask before you launch into social media
1. Which employee on your team will own or administer the social media site?
- This will guarantee consistency in tone and messaging from semester to semester.
- Determine that person’s availability and whether s/he has the appropriate tools needed to monitor the site(s) 24/7, such as a laptop or a smart phone.
- Determine who the content owner’s backup will be in case of vacation, work business, work overload or illness.
- Establish a general e-mail address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) for responses or comments, and allow more than one person access to this address.
2. What is your goal in launching a social media site?
- What do you want to communicate? How will you measure your effectiveness?
- How many fans or followers will equal “success”?
- What communication or marketing gap is this site filling?
- How often will you measure and assess your goals?
3. Are you prepared to commit to keeping the site current and informative?
- How often will you update your site?
- What will be the main themes of these updates and what form will they take: photos, text, audio, video, polls, etc.?
- Will people other than the administrator be updating the site?
4. Have you consulted Marketing and Communications about your artwork, photos and design, your information description and your policies?
- This ensures consistency of branding and tone.
- If you produce video, you must include the University’s established logo or wordmark and its copyright information.
5. What is your “favorites” policy?
- Will the internal group “favorite” external groups?
- Is the group prepared to add external groups to their favorites?
6. What is your “Wall” policy?
- Who can post the wall: members of the group only or the group and fans?
7. How will you establish your privacy settings?
- Open or private (members must be approved by an administrator)
8. Can users submit photos and videos?
- If so, what is the policy for approval and removal?
9. Which applications (such as FBML and Connect!) will be installed?