HOME   •    THE 2009 MINNESOTA CENSUS OF WOMEN IN CORPORATE LEADERSHIP

Women’s Corporate Leadership in the Boardroom and the Executive Suite


Sixty of Minnesota’s 100 largest publicly held companies have women directors and women executive officers.

  • Twenty-one of Minnesota’s 100 largest publicly held companies have either women directors or women executive officers, but not both.
  • Nineteen of Minnesota’s 100 largest publicly held companies have no women directors or executive officers.
  • Minnesota companies reporting larger revenues are more likely to have women represented in both the boardroom and the executive suite than companies reporting smaller revenues.
    • Of the 17 Minnesota Fortune 500 companies, 88 percent (15) have both women directors and women executive officers; the remaining 12 percent (two) have either women directors or women executive officers.
    • Of the 11 Minnesota Fortune 501–1000 companies, 73 percent (eight) of the companies have both women directors and women executive officers; the remaining 27 percent (three) of the companies have either women directors or women executive officers.
    • Of the remaining 72 companies, 51 percent (37) of the companies have both women directors and women executive officers; 22 percent (16) of the companies have either women directors or women executive officers; and 26 percent (19) of the companies have neither.

Changes from 2008 to 2009

The picture of women’s corporate leadership in Minnesota in 2009 looks bleaker than in 2008. In 2008, all of Minnesota’s Fortune 500 companies had both women directors and women executive officers. In 2009, only 88 percent of the Fortune 500 companies had both.

This decrease in women’s leadership roles extends beyond the Fortune 500 companies. Fewer of Minnesota’s largest 100 publicly held companies have both women corporate directors and women executive officers in 2009 than in 2008. More companies have neither, thereby relying upon a strictly male board and male executive leadership team.

  • Both/and in 2009. A small number of new companies in The 2009 Minnesota Census have both women corporate directors and executive officers: Health Fitness Corporation, New Ulm Telecom, Inc., and Winmark Corporation.
  • No women in 2009. Six new companies in The 2009 Census have neither women corporate directors nor women executive officers: CSI Minnesota, Inc., Insignia Systems, Inc., Mocon, Inc., Multiband Corporation, Rochester Medical Corporation, and Xata Corporation.
  • Improvements from 2008. Five companies noted in The 2008 Census now have both women corporate directors and women executive officers: Communications Systems, Inc., FICO, MoneyGram International, Inc., SoftBrands, Inc., and Vascular Solutions, Inc.
  • Decreases from 2008. Four companies from The 2008 Census dropped from having either women corporate directors or women executive officers that year to having none in 2009: Digi International, Inc., Rimage Corporation, Vital Images, Inc., and Zareba Systems, Inc.

Women Corporate Directors and Executive Officers by Company Size
This decline in women’s representation in corporate leadership positions
reflects the overall picture of Minnesota’s 100 largest publicly held companies.

Data Tables

  1. Number of Women Corporate Directors and Executive Officers by Company
  2. Roster of Women Corporate Directors and Executive Officers in Minnesota’s 100 Largest Public Companies

View tables (PDF) »

 

THE 2009 MINNESOTA CENSUS OF WOMEN IN CORPORATE LEADERSHIP