Credit for Prior Learning
As an experienced adult, you’ve gained valuable knowledge and experience outside the classroom. As a St. Kate’s student, you may be eligible to receive college credit for what you already know. St. Catherine University has opportunities for you to earn credit toward your bachelor’s degree for your previous knowledge.
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) enables you to earn college credit by examination. Wherever or however you have learned, you may take CLEP tests as long as you did not receive college credit previously.
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Through Prior Learning Assessment, St. Kate’s students earn credit from learning acquired from non-classroom experiences like work, professional training, military careers, volunteering and personal life.
St. Catherine University is a member of the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) and partners with LearningCounts.org for Prior Learning Assessment through written portfolios.
- You may seek PLA after enrolling at St. Kate’s and completing at least 16 credits. Then, you’ll take these steps: Consult with a member of St. Catherine University’s Office of Academic Advising (in Derham Hall 203, call 651.690.6803 or e-mail academicadvising@stkate,edu).
- Enroll in one of two LearningCounts.org portfolio courses:
- CAEL 100 is a three-credit, six-week instructor-led online course. These three credits will be transferred to St. Catherine University. The cost is $500. In the course, you’ll identify areas of learning to be evaluated for college-level competency.
- Develop Your Portfolio (DYP) for college credit. This is a self-paced, interactive online workshop that you will have access to for six months. No credit is earned through this workshop, and the cost is $129.
- Create your portfolio and request an evaluation. Portfolios are evaluated by trained assessors. LearningCounts.org will evaluate portfolios and make recommendations for credit via the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS). The cost for completing each portfolio is $250. St. Catherine University recognizes credits recommended by LearningCounts.org and NCCRS.