Women’s Studies Minors
Women* and the Arts Minor
This minor offers a hybrid critical and creative approach to art, gender and community. You gain critical insight into at least two different artistic fields while pursuing your own creative practice. Focusing on the contributions of women, you learn about past and present women artists while developing your own artistic talents. Recognizing that gender intersects with other aspects of identity and culture, this minor incorporates courses in Critical Studies of Race and Ethnicity and encourages global study and community action. With flexible, cross-listed courses, this minor synthesizes intellectual and embodied artistic knowledge and practice. This minor is well suited for students pursuing careers in fine arts, community arts organizing or arts administration.
The minor consists of 20 credits composed of:
- courses that represent at least two artistic fields
- three WOST or WOST cross-listed courses
- at least one CRST cross-listed course
At least eight of these credits must come from outside your major field.
WOST 2050 Foundations in Women's Studies Four credits of artistic practice selected from the following fields:
- visual art (ceramics, painting, photography, sculpture, web design)
- music (vocal or instrumental, composition or performance)
- creative writing (poetry, fiction, drama, screenplays, creative non-fiction)
- fashion and apparel (patternmaking, advanced construction)
- theater (acting, directing)
- dance (jazz dance, dance for musical theater)
- WOST 2050: Foundations in Women’s Studies
- WOST 3640: Feminist Theory OR PHIL 3900 Feminist Philosophy
- Three other courses from three disciplines, chosen from the published list of cross-listed courses (see course descriptions).
Four credits of critical analysis of women's contribution to an artistic field selected from cross-listed WOST courses that deal with the representation, history or accomplishments of a woman or women in that field.
Four credits of theory of art and/ or gender
Four additional credits in artistic practice, critical analysis of women's contribution to an artistic field or theory.
Two-credit independent study on Women* and the Arts to produce an integrated project. This independent study could count within the 20 required minor credits and would allow you the opportunity to deepen and manifest your learning.
Internships with the Catherine G. Murphy Gallery, Theatre de la Chandelle Verte, Franconia Sculpture Park, the Women's Art Institute, MN Fashion, Coffee House Press, etc. Courses with global components (e.g, Francophone Women Writers or a course abroad on British Writers and the Woman Question.)
*Women are people with diverse backgrounds of gender, class, race, sexuality, nation, age and ability. This vision of women is central to St. Catherine University Women's Studies.
If you are interested in pursuing this minor, contact the Coordinator of the Women* and the Arts Minor or the chair of the Department of Critical Studies of Race & Ethnicity/Women's Studies to develop your individualized plan of study.
Women’s Studies Minor
The women’s studies minor will enhance any major at St. Kate’s. With flexible, cross-listed courses, it’s a great way to add new perspectives to your major course of study.
With the approval of the coordinator, a maximum of two courses may be transferred from a non-ACTC institution.
For detailed course descriptions, visit the courses page.