The women’s studies major is an interdisciplinary major, meaning many of the requirements for the major are selected from other academic departments. Upon admission, you will work with an adviser to tailor your courses to fit your individual needs.
The following women's studies courses are required:
- WOST 2050: Foundations in Women’s Studies
- WOST 3640: Feminist Theory or PHIL 3900: Feminist Philosophy
- WOST 4604: Internship
- WOST 4850: Senior Seminar
Electives, three of which must be upper-division courses, include:
- Two courses cross-listed in arts and humanities
- Two courses cross-listed in social sciences and sciences
- One course with a race/ethnicity component
- One elective cross-listed with any department and WOST
All of the courses are listed under both the home department and WOST. They should be taken under the WOST department designation.
Women’s studies majors satisfy the Writing Requirement for Majors by completing WOST WOST 2050: Foundations in Women’s Studies and WOST 4850: Senior Seminar. You complete the Liberal Arts and Sciences Core Writing Requirement with two other writing-intensive courses (CORE 1000: The Reflective Woman and CORE 3990: Global Search for Justice).