History of Information Science at St. Catherine University
Since 1917, the program in library science and the current undergraduate information management curriculum have supported the educational aspirations of women to become liberally educated and qualified library and information professionals.
In 1991 the College of St. Catherine (now St. Catherine University) and Rosary College (now Dominican University) agreed to collaborate in providing a library science masters degree program accredited by the American Library Association. Students enrolled at St. Catherine received a degree from Dominican University.
In the spring of 2005, the faculty and administration at St. Catherine requested pre-candidacy status from the American Library Association Committee on Accreditation as the first step in meeting its standards for an accredited degree program separate from the program offered with Dominican University.
The faculty and staff, in cooperation with students, alumna and members of the professional library and information services community in the Twin Cities worked to demonstrate that the Masters of Library and Information Science curriculum and co-curricular activities meet the Standards for Accreditation. ALA's Committee on Accreditation announced full accreditation for the program in January 2011.